Paolo Pellegrin is known today as one of the world’s leading photojournalists and conflict photographers. The winner of ten World Press Photo awards and the Robert Capa Gold Medal (among many others), he has been a full member of Magnum since 2005.
A brand new free photography exhibition celebrating the 40th anniversary of China’s Reform and Opening up will launch on Monday 10 December at London’s Kings Cross Station.
Commissioned by the China International Culture & Image Communication Corporation “Reform and Dreams” will feature 80 stunning individual photographs taken over the last 40 years by photographers of the Xinhua News Agency, China’s biggest and most influential media organisation. Giving a unique insight into the lives of Chinese people, this is the first time the images have been shown together and many have never been seen before in the United Kingdom.
Each of the 80 images capture offer insight into daily life in China since 1978 and showcase the close relationship between China and the United Kingdom, over what has proven to be an extraordinary time of change to China’s development path. Together the images show the power of the Chinese people and detail how Reform and Opening Up in China have enabled its people aspire to better lives and explore beyond their borders.
For a limited time only, this free photography exhibition will be positioned throughout the concourse of London’s King’s Cross station before going on to tour to Paris.
Mr Gu, Chief of Xinhua’s London Bureau comments: “Never before has such a unique photographic celebration of China’s Reform and Opening Up been brought to London. With this exhibition we want to show a developing China, and the optimism and enthusiasm of Chinese people in the process of this development.
“Every Chinese person has played their part in these 40 years of history. Their dreams have converged to form the irresistible power that has propelled China’s development. This exhibition tells the stories of the lives of these ordinary Chinese people for whom past four decades have meant so much.”
Media Preview: Monday 10 December at 10am
The China International Culture & Image Communication Corporation will host a preview of the exhibition at meeting on the station concourse of London King’s Cross.
Kai and Callum
“When you do a 12 hour night shift at Gate Camp you have to keep yourself awake somehow; I try and read my books for university”
Kai, 20, and Callum, 22, are a couple who met at Maple Farm Camp. “I was doing a photo project during the summer when I stumbled across this,” says Kai, gesturing to Callum. “I thought, ‘he is nice to take pictures of.’” The two now share a tent in Maple Farm’s backfield.
Every Wednesday the couple take the night shift at Gate Camp; for 12 hours they sit and monitor Cuadrilla’s activities in and out of the main gate. Kai is studying a BA in Photography at Blackpool and the Fylde College and stays awake by reading. “When I was by myself I used to get panicky with my coursework: topics and big words that I did not understand,” she says. “But, living in this community, I can just ask someone and chat through it. I find it a lot easier.” Kai’s mum brought her to the site for the first time. “She wanted to come down, but she is quite ill and needs help walking. She was anxious so I was like I’ll come too,” says Kai. “The next week she didn’t come; she got really ill. So I came down by myself, and again the week after that, and I just never really left.”
Both feel disillusioned with the preoccupations of many people their age. “When you are protesting something like this, a lot of conversation can seem quite pointless – talking about I’m a Celebrity, Love Island etc.” says Callum, whose mum, Katerina Lawrie, is also a resident of the Maple Farm Camp. “I got really passionate about it very quickly,” says Kai. “I had a big group of friends and none of them understood at all.”
“This industry is in its death throes — very soon it will cease. It cannot carry on as it has no future whatsoever”
John Tootill has run Maple Farm Nursery, located just 800 metres from Preston New Road, for 34 years. He lives there with his family. “I started the business with my dad. We worked together as a team for many years until his death a couple of years ago,” he says. “My dad was extremely concerned by Cuadrilla’s proposals to carry out fracking so close to our nursery and feared the worst for his family home and business.” Tootill had no idea about fracking when Cuadrilla Resources first applied to drill near his home. After discovering what the process was, and the risks it posed, he was horrified: “I am just trying to defend my family, my community and all the things that I have been brought up to believe in.”
One of Tootill’s concerns is the effect that the practice could have on his livelihood. “I want people to be able to visit the nursery without fearing for their health and their children’s health.” He donated a portion of his land to the protectors, on which they have set up Maple Farm Camp. “It is a big sacrifice because it is a site on the main road, which, from a business point of view, is an important location,” he says. “I am happy that it is being used to further the campaign against this harmful process.” The camp also provides a “safe haven” for protectors: “Maple Farm offers a refuge for people to feel secure because the policing can be very oppressive.”
Cuadrilla’s activities at Preston New Road have polarised the local community. “Cuadrilla has worked on this community for years: they have splashed money around, to all sorts of
“I am very prone to get angry; that saves me from getting scared”
“I did not
Anne has been demonstrating against fracking for five years. At least twice a week she drives back-and-forth, between the site and her home in Manchester. Often, she travels through the night to ferry people from site to site. Last summer, 2017, she spent four nights in her car on the roadside, just beside Preston New Road. A group of protectors built two towers at the gate. “I was watching while I was dozing; I couldn’t tell whether they had built it on the bonnet of my car or not.”
“I have done things that I would have never expected,” says Anne, who originally, if not reluctantly, trained as a teacher. Disillusioned by the curriculum, she retrained as a personal
ON1 Photo RAW 2019 – An All-New Photo Editing Experience Now Available
ON1, Inc announces that ON1 Photo RAW 2019, an all-new photo editing experience and a major upgrade to ON1 Photo RAW, is available today. ON1 Photo RAW 2019 includes all-new features and technologies along with a streamlined workflow that is elegant, powerful and easy to learn. Notable new features include a new non-destructive workflow for layers, auto-alignment of layers, focus stacking, a new portrait tab, a new text tool, new digital asset management updates and more. ON1 Photo RAW 2019 includes the tools photographers need in a single well thought out photography workflow application.
This all-new photo editing experience gives photographers the features they use the most from the Adobe® Lightroom® and Photoshop® worlds in a single application. ON1 Photo RAW 2019 also includes a significant enhancement to the migration process for customers looking to move away from Lightroom®. Version 2019 is the first solution to utilize AI-powered algorithms to transfer and display Lightroom edited photos in ON1 Photo RAW 2019. The transferred settings will also remain non-destructive and be re-editable inside ON1 Photo RAW 2019.
The ON1 community drives the development of ON1 Photo RAW based on what’s most important for their photo editing needs. Every new feature and improvement made in version 2019 is a direct result of community input through the ON1 Photo RAW Project.
Price and Availability
ON1 Photo RAW 2019 is available today for $99.99. Previous owners of any ON1 product can upgrade for $79.99. ON1 Photo RAW 2019 is also available as part of an ON1 Plus Pro membership for a for $129.99/year (Reg: $149.99/year). ON1 Plus Pro includes a perpetual license of ON1 Photo RAW along with in-depth post-processing and photography education from the industries best trainers such as Matt Kloskowski, Hudson Henry, Tamara Lackey and many more. All of it is easy to follow along and fun. For a limited time, a purchase of ON1 Photo RAW 2019 includes some great bonuses. These include the ON1 Photo RAW 2019 Foundations video course, which provides the perfect get up and running training and the ON1 Looks eBook and series of 25 videos and practices files and to help you master ON1 Photo RAW 2019.
A 30-day free trial of ON1 Photo RAW 2019 is also available for download from the ON1 website. A single purchase of ON1 Photo RAW 2019 includes both macOS and Windows installers and activation for up to five computers. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, world-class customer support based in Portland, Oregon USA, hundreds of free video tutorials, and free ON1 Loyalty Rewards every month.
- A New & Faster Editing Workflow –All of the editing modules from previous versions have been combined into the Edit module to create a single place for editing photos. The former editing modules are now available as tabs to allow you to work in each seamlessly without changing the application appearance. These include Develop, Effects, Portrait, and Local Adjustments tabs.
- New Lightroom Photo Settings Migration – New AI-powered algorithms give customers the ability to transfer Lightroom edited photos, keep the non-destructive settings, and move them into ON1 Photo RAW 2019. The updated Lightroom Migration Tool in version 2019 transfers almost every edit you can make in Lightroom including raw processing, crop, retouching, and local adjustments along with folders, photos, collections, and metadata.
- New Focus Stacking – Automatically blend a series of photos at different focus distances to increase depth-of-field. It’s so fast, you can adjust the focus in real-time, just like changing the focus on your lenses. Think of it like HDR, but for focus instead of exposure.
- New Auto-Align Layers – Easily combine multiple photos as layers, then automatically align them based on image content, making it easy to mask and blend them together.
- New AI Masking Tool (coming Winter 2019) – This new tool, powered by machine learning, will allow customers to easily identify areas of their photos to create a selection or mask and the AI technology detects your subject matter and automatically creates a beautiful mask.
- New User Interface – The new user interface has a fresh and modern feel. Overall contrast has been reduced to make photos stand out along with a new font to help increase readability. Updated icons, tabs, and sliders will also take up less visual space.
- Other Updates – including support for HEIC files, keyboard shortcuts for changing modules, more accent color options, color labels on folders and more.
- Additional Camera Support – Added support for the Fujifilm XF10, Fujifilm X-T3, Nikon P1000, Nikon Z7, Panasonic LX100 II, Leica M10-P.
- Additional Lens Profiles – Added lens profiles for: Canon EF35mm f/1.4L II USM (750), Chinon Auto Chinon 35mm f/2.8, KMZ Helios-40 85mm f/1.5, Nikon 200-500mm F5.6 174, Panasonic LEICA DG 8-18/F2.8-4.0, Panasonic LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5/F1.2, Pentax Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4, Sigma Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM, Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS, Sony FE 50mm F1.8, Tamron 14-150mm F/3.5-5.8 DiIII C001, Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (A032), Voigtländer Voigtlander Super Wide Heliar III.
A New Workflow for Layers – ON1 Layers is no longer a separate module. Instead, the power of layers is accessible within the non-destructive workflow in the new Edit module. This allows for creating or editing multi-layered files, including raw files, and keeping non-destructive settings for each photo layer. Customers can also move, size and mask each layer. More importantly, and a new concept, each layer has its own non-destructive settings, all the way back to the original file. What’s most exciting is if you are working with raw files, powerful adjustments like exposure, highlights and shadows can now be processed using the raw data in a layered photo workflow. All without having to change modules or applications.
- New Master Keyword List – Now you can see every keyword you use in a single, searchable list. You can quickly apply, clear, edit, or delete keywords.
- Enhanced Local Adjustments – Local adjustments have been enhanced to use the raw processing data. This allows for more highlight and shadow details with more tonal range. This also includes new controls like haze, whites
- New Layered HDR Workflow – With the powerful new non-destructive layers you can combine other photos, text or alternate exposures with your HDR photos. Use the powerful masking tools to combine multiple HDR renditions even.
- New Portrait Tab – The new Portrait tab automatically detects faces in your photo allowing you to easily retouch, smooth skin, brighten and sharpen eyes, and whiten teeth.
- New Text Tool – The new text tool is perfect for creating posters, postcards, or adding your byline or watermark. Easily control font size, color, position, and more and then save a preset to add the same text overlay to a batch of photos quickly.
- New Filter Options in Effects – We have added dedicated film grain, curves
andcolor adjustment filters to Effects. These let you add film grain to color photos and make advanced, targeted color and tone adjustments faster. There’s even a new filter selector that allows you to search for filters, learn what they do and even view a sample before you add them.
What’s Ahead for ON1
ON1 Photo RAW 2019 will include several free updates over the next year with all-new photo organizing and editing features, AI-powered algorithms to enhance workflows, other feature refinements, as well as updates for cameras and lenses. The first free update will in Winter 2019. ON1 is also working on solving additional problems for customers who share files across multiple computers or work environments as well as those customers who are shooting video as part of their photography process. “As we’ve said before, we have big plans at ON1. Our team is already busy working on the next free updates to version 2019. These will include dual display support, an editing history, and additional capabilities and enhancements to Focus Stacking,” says Craig Keudell, President of ON1.
About ON1 Photo RAW – An All-New Photo Editing Experience
ON1 Photo RAW 2019 is a game changer. Version 2019 includes everything photographers look for when editing their photos including an integrated photo organizer, raw processor, pixel editor, and layered file workflow. It’s like having Lightroom and Photoshop® in one application without paying a monthly subscription. ON1 Photo RAW 2019 will also use ON1’s state-of-the-art processing engine providing a fast, smooth, comfortable, and fun photo editing experience while producing the highest quality results for your photos. Photo RAW seamlessly integrates the features of photo organizing, non-destructive editing, layering capabilities, the best masking and selection tools, portrait retouching, hundreds of photo effects, text, HDR, automated panorama stitching, photo resizing, and more into one powerful yet easy-to-use software application.
ON1 Photo RAW 2019 supports RAW files from over 800 cameras, but it isn’t just for raw files. It also supports file formats include JPEG, TIF, PSD/PSB, PNG, HEIC and DNG are supported and benefit from the speed, performance, and abundance of editing tools in the app. Photo RAW 2019 will also integrate as a plug-in to Adobe® Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC as well as Apple Photos and will continue to work as a standalone photo editor and rival the Adobe Photography Plan. Like the current version, version 2019 will integrate with the major cloud services to allow for uploading, managing, and editing photos across multiple computers. This enables users to sync photos and their edits across multiple computers or in a studio setting.
1854 Media, publisher of British Journal of Photography, together with Magnum Photos have announced the international judging panel for PORTRAIT OF HUMANITY
The judging panel of Portrait of Humanity is comprised of international industry leaders, from curators, directors, media publishers and photographers of global repute. Together, we aim to create a Portrait of Humanity, one of the greatest collaborative exhibitions in history. We seek to find images that celebrate our shared values: Individuality – Community – Unity.
The judges will select 200 shortlisted images for the Portrait of Humanity Book, published by Hoxton Mini Press and distributed worldwide. 50 winning images will be showcased in a touring global exhibition from August to December 2019.
- 200 shortlisted images will be featured in the Portrait of Humanity Book
- 50 winning images will be exhibited at various locations around the world from August – December 2019
- 20 images will be selected by Art on a Postcard, exhibited at Photo London and be featured on Paddle8 as well as included in the 2018 Photography on a postcard box set
1st, 2nd and 3rd place will share $10,000 in grant awards to create projects that explore their interpretations of humanity
- All shortlisted and winning photographers will receive extensive international press coverage
- The chance to be interviewed and featured on BJP-Online
- Calls Open: 06 September 2018
- Calls Close: 08 January 2019 – 4pm GMT
- Shortlist and Winners Announcement: May – June 2019
- Touring Global Exhibition: August – December 2019
Together, we will create a Portrait of
MEET THE JUDGES
Organ Vida Photography festival
Co-Founder/Executive Director Documenting Detroit
Co-Founder Hoxton Mini Press
Designer, Brand Consultant and Artist Founder of Alan Chan Design Company
Independent Curator & Art Advisor
Director Art on a Postcard
Creative Director VisionNow Media
Founder & Creative Director PhotoNOLA
Jacob Aue Sobol
Founding Director Photo London
Associate Curator Ballarat International Foto Biennale